My Family

My Family
They are so beautiful!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Thinking about Things

So, I intended to write about thoughts and important issues when I started this blog. And I intended to write in it more often. But of course, life gets in the way, and if it's not a priority, it disappears into the stack of life. But anyway, I've been getting into a lot of new things this past year, trying to learn new things and learn about this world and the gospel and lots of other stuff.

I've been getting into health a lot more than before. I'm not crazy about it, after all, I just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday, but the health of our nation is terrible, and that's a fact anyone can attest to. Obesity and heart disease and cancer. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't know someone that's been affected by either of these three things, or been affected by it themselves. Now, call me a nut job, but I think there are some serious misconceptions about health in American society right now. Most people seem to think that they can eat whatever they want, no matter how unhealthy it is for you, and go to the doctor's office when they get sick and get a magical cure-all prescription pill. Absolving them of any responsibility of the unhealthy choices they've made in the past. Of course, I know plenty of people that are very responsible and make healthy choices and as a result, rarely need the doctor for anything, except maybe their yearly check-up. And I know people that have gotten sick through no fault of their own, or have broken a bone or something, and have needed the doctor for something beyond their capability to fix themselves. I've been wanting to talk about this particular subject for a while, but people can get so touchy about it, and well, I don't like contention. Plus, I'm not saying I'm right, or that everyone should change or anything like that! I just think it's important for people to be more aware of their health and the things concerning health and medicine that are going on in this country right now. Granted, there are plenty of other things that we could focus on, that would help as well, but health is a little thing that can help each individual and their families so much. Just to be able to function better, do more good, etc. Of course, everyone is going to die anyway, so I think health fanaticism is a big much. After all, I don't want to be stressing about what I'm eating 24/7, I'd rather focus on other things too. However, I do want to be able to play with my kids (when I have some) and be around to help other people, rather than be in bed all the time cause I'm sick all the time. Sure, life is short and we can't freak out about health. But life is short! and we can't afford to be hindered from living it to the fullest because of bad health!

Ok, so a touchy subject many people won't like: I don't trust modern medicine. I remember going to the dermatologist (I'm one of those unlucky people who tends to break out a lot) when I was in high school and her telling me that what we eat has no effect whatsoever on our acne. I can't believe I was stupid enough to believe her. What you put in your body has absolutely every effect on acne, and skin health, and hair health, and every type of health. God gave us wonderful bodies with the capabilites to heal themselves. And the only help they get with that (or hurt) is the stuff that goes in it. Duh. Finding a doctor that actually talks about what you put in your body (your nutrition) is very rare. Most medical practitioners are trained on how to treat the symptoms or after-effects of sickness, disease, etc. Never on nutrition and how to actually prevent disease in the first place. After all, if everyone knew how to prevent disease, they wouldn't have any business, except for broken bones and stuff like that. I am by no means saying they are all like that, or that they don't have the best intentions, but maybe they just don't teach quite the right stuff in medical school.

So, what's the truth? Cause everyone has different opinions on health and medicine and stuff. Well, being LDS, I have one truth that I can always rely on. A promise from our Heavenly Father that if we follow, we are promised health throughout our whole life. The Word of Wisdom in the Doctrine and Covenants. That is truth, and if anyone says something that clashes with that doctrine, well... it's not right. If you aren't familiar with the scripture, here is a link:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89

My guess is that most people probably won't even read this far. I think sometimes I write too much... yes? :) But if you are interesting in learning more about the world of nutrition and health and modern medicine, there are plenty of places you could research on the internet. Personally, I read Natural News, which is an independent site that doesn't accept money from anyone to publish certain things, if that makes sense. I read an article from them today, which made me finally want to say something about the sad state our country is in when it comes to health, and the corruption in companies that intend to keep us that way. Now, I in no way am telling anyone how it is, but rather... go and read and find out for yourself. There are some things from that site that I question myself. I don't necessarily agree with it all. And that's totally fine! But in my religion, they do encourage us to go out and get an education and knowledge, and that doesn't have to come from school. Go out and learn! Don't believe everything people tell you. Find out for yourself! That's the best way to learn, and after all, isn't that the main thing we should be doing with our lives?

Here's a link to a pretty incredible story. Not sure how much I believe it, but it's something to think about:
http://www.naturalnews.com/030136_Rawesome_foods_raid.html

Be smart people! Learn for yourselves. Ask why? and how? and what can I do? And be teachers. Educate others on what you know, and then everyone will benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment